Tuesday, April 29, 2014

ALPINE GARDEN - tender lovin' care

How succulents can survive in zone 3, let alone our coldest winter in living memory amazes me, but there are definitely signs of life (as well as a couple of casualties).

Last May I introduced you to the Alpine Garden, which is made up of flat rocks that must have been the old concrete sidewalk before a new path was put down. You voted to mix Sempervivum and Sedum together, which I tried at first but eventually split apart because the Sedum just covered the poor little Hens 'n Chicks right up.

As the season wore on last year however the mounds of earth I had topped with the Hens 'n Chicks shrunk as the earth settled, so in the fall I needed to build them up again.
Upon close inspection I could see that some were beginning to rot due to moist conditions since Sempervivum typically prefer dry locations.

So I dug it all up and put them aside in a container.

Then I added lots of sand, mixed it up and planted them all back again.  
Labour intensive perhaps, but I had not planted them in the right conditions in the first place, so the responsibility was mine to fix it.

It will be very interesting for me to see how well they come back this year and if more sand is needed or if they take off and start spreading under the big Blue Spruce as planned.

***
Sharing with 

8 comments:

  1. My hens and chicks look sick after the winter we've had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never grown them before so I don't know if that is normal after a cold winter and they will recover or whether it is a really bad sign. let's assume the former and cross our fingers, shall we?

      Delete
  2. I hope your plants do well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind wishes Ladyfi, I'll be keeping my eyes on them and will post a follow up later this summer.

      Delete
  3. I had no idea they could survive cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea either before moving here, but certainly glad they do!

      Delete
  4. These are not plants I am familiar with....I am sure you are happy to be moving back into warmer weather.... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These plants are quite cool, they are hardy succulents, they multiply freely and then they die after blooming. Sad but true.

      Thanks for stopping by Michelle.

      Delete