Tuesday, September 03, 2013

LOBLAW'S SPECIAL EDITION - rudbeckia

Let us not forget that I am a marketer as well as a gardener, so when a publicist for Loblaw's contacted me about getting some plants from their store you can bet that I jumped on board.  I am used to working with bloggers on behalf of my clients but this is the first time the shoe is on the other foot. 

Thank you Loblaw's, or in the case of Winnipeg, "Superstore" as people here know it. 

A few weeks ago I was supplied with two Rudbeckia plants which turn out to be a great addition to my Sun Garden.  

 
 Since I try and picture my beds three years out I did what I generally do when a store-bought container clearly has multiple plants: I split them apart before planting. Yes, when they were in the middle of blooming & no, this is not generally recommended for short term performance, but as I always say, "as long as they come back next year...".  I want to delay having to dig them up and divide them as long as I can but still have them pack a punch in their first year.

 Three plants in each container were split and planted as six separate plants, which already have a much grander feel than if i had just planted the two bushier plants as-bought and they have hardly skipped a beat despite my aggressive treatment.  

I did not realize how much something taller was missing from the west side where I started more plants from seed and so where they tend to be shorter, at least for this year.  You can see in this fish-eye perspective the role they are playing in bringing height-balance from one end of the garden to the other.

From this perspective you can also see the colour-balance they bring with the Heliopsis on the far right.

All in all a great addition. Thanks Real Canadian Superstore.

24 comments:

  1. Your garden is beautiful!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gary. Now I need to kick up my other garden beds a notch!

      Delete
  2. Well balansed, and a real joy for the eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you have everything chosen so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I'd go as far as perfect, but thank you kindly nonetheless Pam :)

      Delete
  4. Your garden is beautiful and I love the touch of yellow. Lynda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynda. I was thinking I had too much yellow, but it is just so bright and cheery it calls to you all the way from the front street. I love it.

      Delete
  5. Your garden is lovely! Thanks for sharing your photos and info!
    Zenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zenda, you are very welcome, please com back again any time.

      Delete
  6. Dividing the bedding plants is a great idea and that display is splendid! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anastatia, they seem to be holding up really well. I should have added that I gave them a general-purpose fertilizer after the transplant. It certainty hasn't hurt.

      Delete
  7. Nothing like pretty flowers. You have done a great job on your garden. Loved seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LV, please come back again soon for more update on other gardens.

      Delete
  8. I garden at high altitude, often using seeds, but each year implementing with a few hardy perennials and annuals. Your garden is a joy and your method of dividing before planting seems to have worked just fine. The garden looks lush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, Lush is exactly what this Sun Garden is. Some of my other beds are not quite there yet but I am working on it. Thanks for stopping in.

      Delete
  9. Your garden is beautiful! I garden, too, but most of my yard is in the shade. I miss having those vibrant colors in such great numbers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, if you check out my older posts you w ill see lots about shade gardening. Before I moved to Winnipeg it was pretty much all I had to work with. Thanks for popping in.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful garden. Love the how the vibrant colors. Visiting from Outdoor Wednesday

    Jocelyn @ http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jocelyn, glad you could visit all the way from Florida :)

      Delete
  11. Your flower beds are looking lovely! I split plants sometimes, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in Sue. Split now or split later is the way I look at it, so may as well tackle it now.

      Delete
  12. Congratulations nice garden, greeting from Belgium

    ReplyDelete

Posts from the Past