Monday, August 19, 2013

REPORT CARD - sun garden

Just over one month ago I shared my detailed plans for the Sun Garden, the garden that is clearly progressing the best with its sunny location.
How is it doing? Let's take a look.

Clearly things are growing well. Lots of rain, lots of sun.

Turns out fertilizing Nasturtium promotes leaf growth not blooming. At least they are hiding the Coneflowers I planted along the edge that the rabbits kept dining on, maybe now they will get an uninterrupted period of growth.
Nonetheless there are some gorgeous Nasturtium blooms making an appearance. 
I cannot believe I have never grown these before. 
I love them.

In the centre of this crowded space (inside yellow oval above) I believe we have orange and chocolate Rudbeckia, but we will have to wait and see blooms to be 100% sure. There are loads of them and I am trying my best to gently jiggle the roots apart and transplant them in any empty spaces in the Sun Garden. 
For example in the above small clump there are seven healthy plants; where they grow extremely close together I pinch the smaller one out so as to not disturb the roots of the other.
The Blanketflower running along the north border are going gangbusters.
The yellow stand-out above is Coreopsis Roulette. A flower I thought was red with yellow stripes but apparently also comes in bright yellow with flecks of red. 
Coreopsis Roulette is seeded mainly throughout the northeast part of the garden and its wispy and airy foliage makes the blooms seem like they are floating. 
Among the volunteer plants I have found are Stonecrop, which I moved to the Alpine Garden, white Dianthus which now lives in the Moon Garden, various Sunflowers, Vinca and these unexpected Pink Petunias.  
Is someone playing a practical joke on me? I am specifically trying to rid my garden of pink.

I planted Crocosmia from corms and from plants - the plants are finishing up their blooming but some of those started 'from scratch' are just about to begin  theirs.

So how do I feel about the Sun Garden? I feel great. It continues to improve with age.  Once the Coreopsis and Rudbeckia start flaunting their flowers it is going to be an absolute riot of joyous colour.

***

23 comments:

  1. Wow!! Its doing gangbusters. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary, "gangbusters" is a great word to describe it. Thanks for stopping in.

      Delete
  2. Your garden is doing great. It's very beautiful and you should feel great about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carver, I am feeling really good about this one :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful. I know you wish those nasturtiums had more flowers, but their leaves are gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Pam, those leaves are very different from anything else I am growing. There are already signs the blooms are increasing, let's hope the trend continues.

      Delete
  4. Love the gathering of greens spiced with colour. Like a banquet. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gemma a banquet is a great simile especially since the Nasturtium are hiding some beets and carrots too!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful garden!!! Hope the nasturtiums produce as many flowers as leaves!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Last night I cut back loads of the Nasturtium and to be honest you can't really tell even. Perhaps this will force more blooms form them, though they are already increasing each day now.

      Delete
  6. That turned out so well! I wish you were nearby to help me figure out what to do with a similarly shaped "garden" beneath my front bay window. It's downright embarrassing at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to send me your thoughts on what plants you like, how much sun you get and I could give you some suggestions. If you get full sun and like any of these plants I could tell you more about them...

      Delete
  7. It looks really wonderful!
    Funny about the petunias!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only assume they must have been in the soil I purchased, but I am leaving them be no matter the colour. They deserve it.

      Delete
  8. It's simply beautiful. I like nasturtiums as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tasted the nasturtiums last night and found the leaves bitter but the flowers were fine to nibble - A great topper for salads!

      Delete
  9. wow that filled out nicely, love all the annuals and colors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noel, thanks for stopping in. I used Petunias to give it a head start this year but will try and reduce their numbers last year. my goal will be to hvae only perennials in my beds but it may take a couple of years to get there.

      Delete
  10. Oh it looks great Derek... Love all the green and blooms.... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. I like that you appreciate the greens which can get overshadowed by all the colour, but the foliage is so important too!

      Delete
  11. Lovely pictures of a lovely garden. I like the one facing the house the best. Looks so cottagey if that is a word.

    Linnea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Cottagey" is a word I am completely comfortable with. Thank you.

      Delete
  12. Than you. Great name for a blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Posts from the Past