Saturday, January 26, 2013

WILT - Positioning, positioning, positioning

The purpose of learning is growth, and our minds, unlike our bodies, can continue growing as we continue to live. 
~Mortimer Adler

I have had to learn over and over to pay attention to exactly how a transplant is sitting in its new home before I bury it, step back and appraise   Often I am so caught up in the transplanting process, especially when adding things to the forest floor where digging a hole is hard work, that I just want to get it done and move on to the next.

But making sure you have positioned the plant properly can make a huge difference.   
In a previous post I shared my goal with this space, to make a triangular fern garden leading the eye up to the big rock in back.  When filling in the gap above I first placed the ferns facing away from the path.

Oops, it did not really serve its purpose of filling in the gap when facing away.

I then quickly jumped back in and turned it around.  What a difference!

 Heck, I like my neighbours but I did not plant this fern for their benefit, it really needed to be facing me.  Of course it seems obvious but the real trick is thinking of that when you are in the trenches, so to speak.

***
Sharing with Fertilizer Friday

What I Learned Today (WILT) is a recurring series of posts about those thing I tend to learn over and over, and seem destined to keep repeating.  The basics.  
The simple things that are not so simple.

Making a record of the error of my ways is designed to help me to kick the habit.

Time will tell.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you are right...cuz I have a tonne of records of things I need to stop doing! lol

    Thank you for linking in this week again..I am always so happy to see my friends letting their gardens and hard work shine!
    I hope you will link in again soon!
    Your post today has been shared on the Tootsie Time Facebook page.

    hugs from Alberta Canada!
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.
    www.tootsietime.com

    ReplyDelete